Welcome to Reaching for New Horizons!!!!!

This blog was created to share my experiences as I journeyed toward my then Master of Arts degree to my now doctoral degree in Early Childhood. Feel free to share your great experiences in this great field.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Code of Ethics in the Early Childhood Profession

I have a very high respect for the NAEYC Code of Ethics.  My current preschool program requires our teacher staff to review and sign that they have read, understand and agree with this Code of Ethics.  As I was rereading this code of ethics, two ideas I found significant to me were:

  • Respect the dignity, worth, and uniqueness of each individual (child, family member, and colleague)
  • Recognize that children and adults achieve their full potential in the context of relationships that are based on trust and respect
 I believe we must show respect toward the children we provide educational services for each day by showing them care.  This includes providing them with a safe and loving environment, a daily schedule that is structure yet flexible, and a classroom setting that promotes learning.

The third idea I found significant was within the Division of Early Childhood from the Council of Exceptional Children.

  • We shall engage in ongoing and systematic reflective inquiry and self-assessment for the purpose of continuous improvement of professional performance and services to young children with disabilities and their families.
I believe in being a life long learner and feel educators at every level of education should dedicate themselves to evolving with their professional.  By doing this children are offered well-prepared individuals that will work in the best interest of the children and families that are served.    Moreover parents of children with a special need that work with educators that are experienced and knowledge are able to feel less anxiety regarding their child’s experiences in the classroom.

4 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right! We (educators) should absolutely be dedicated to evolving with our profession! I couldn't have said it better! I certainly am- I love learning more about the field of education. If I was a parent, and I saw that my child's teacher was dedicated about their profession, I would absolutely feel more comfortable listening to special needs that my child might deserve. It would really release the tension when I hear it from a professional who knows what they are talking about. (I personally hope that I come off this way to my parents!) Thanks for sharing!

    I chose a similar principle that also fosters to children with disabilities. I also chose the same NAEYC ideal as your first one. It most certainly is important to show each individual child that they are cared about.
    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa:

    I just want to take a moment to thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences throughout this course in our discussion group. Your insights as both a professional and a parent has been invaluable to me.

    I wish you the best in your future classes. I have joined your blog so that I may continue to learn from you.

    Thank you,
    LouAnn Rhodes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa, it was great to learn about you through your blog! Thank you for all your posts! I have learned a lot from you. I also hope your son continues to make progress through the years and I would love to stay in touch through your blog. Good luck throughout the rest of the program. I hope to see you in future courses!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanessa, Thank you for all the great knowledge that you have shared through out this course. You have been a great asset to the class and I love your layout! I wish you well in your future courses and in your career.

    ReplyDelete