Welcome to Reaching for New Horizons!!!!!

This blog was created to share my experiences as I journeyed toward my then Master of Arts degree to my now doctoral degree in Early Childhood. Feel free to share your great experiences in this great field.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014


Social Media’s Influence on Policy Issues

Over the course of my policy issues class, I have come to appreciate all that goes into forming a policy issues and providing information that will soundly support why an issue should become policy.  I have also learned the various funding sources that are behind some of the research for groundbreaking policy.  However I have found that it is important to have a platform to discuss policy issues to learn the trending thoughts of others in the early childhood field. 


After looking at several social media websites to communicate, I feel the best two websites to best communicate my policy issue would be Linkedin and Twitter.










I selected Linkedin as one avenue to communicate my issue because of the large professional network.  Members of the website can connect with other professionals.  They can follow companies to learn about initiatives the company is participating.  Also on this website, groups or forums can be formed to discuss specific topics relevant to career fields such as early childhood education.  I think a benefit of this website is the opportunity for open discussion about a variety of topics.  However I think a challenge maybe getting enough exposure and the conversation reaching those persons that can continue to push it forward.




Then I selected Twitter as the other social media website because of the large variety of agencies and persons that participate.  On the website its states "Twitter helps you create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers." Because of the opportunity to share information instantly and the fact of many politicians, advocacy agencies, and other stakeholders being able to access and receive information makes this website a good choice. I think a benefit of using this website is the large number of key participants like those in the federal, state, local political arena as well as advocacy organization such as the National Association for the Education for Young Children.  A challenge is my policy issue getting lost in the many topics that trend on the Twitter website.  I would definitely need other individuals interested in the topic to keep the conversation going and generate more interest.

11 comments:

  1. Vanessa,

    I have a LinkedIn account, but I find it difficult to find individuals to connect with. Additionally, the communication is somewhat more limited in this social media than others. However, because I have become frustrated with the features, I do not go into my account very often. It is probable that I just need additional training on the various aspects to use it more successfully. Do you have an account? If so, do you feel it is more limited that other social media tools?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dixie,

    I do have a LinkedIn account. I'm apart of several groups that discussions about various aspects in the field. I have been told that some agencies view it when looking at potential job candidates. However even though I selected it as one of my two. I still have some reservations about if it would be a product avenue to share policy issue information. It would definitely have to be apart of a topic discussion.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I have a linked in account as well. and to be completely honest I have not used it as much as I should be using it to network and get in touch with individuals in different professions. I actually just recently got an account due to multiple individuals that I know asking me why I wasn't connected on Linked in. Now that you have shared some of the potential benefits of the social network I may try to log in more myself as well. I think it's a wonderful choice especially with the focus on building a professional network.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely good to network with people you know and make connections. I like the groups. Since I have joined, I have received request to participate in research study from people working on their doctoral degree. This is because of the various groups I joined. I try to login once a month.

      Vanessa

      Delete
  4. Vanessa,
    I have a Linkedin account and I hard ever use it, hwoever I have heard from many professionals that it is a very useful program, I feel it would be helpful when looking for individuals that meet the requirements that a company maybe looking for to fill a position. I agree, with you about "getting lost in the many topics", I think that would happen on any of the social media that is chose by anyone. I think you are on the right track and have an idea and are moving forward.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. I like the idea of using social media to discuss ideas. However people are updating their statuses so often or moving on to the next thought so quickly. I wonder how it would be keep a conversation going about a policy issue if there are not many people interested in the topic. Just a thought.

      Vanessa

      Delete
  5. Vanessa,
    When I was reading your post three things jumped out at me: accessing a large network, finding a platform, and creating an instant message. These ideas are what are needed to get a voice out into the social world to be heard. The first step is always finding a platform that supports the needs of your topic, then deciding on your audience and figuring out how to network with them is the next step, and being instantaneous is now just the world we live in. People want information quick and also want a quick way to respond to it. I think you have a strong grasp on how to use social media to your advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vanessa,
    The two choices of social media would be very effective in communicating your issue about early childhood. I like the idea of twitter because it does reach a large audience and it reaches it immediately. When I was looking up different social media ideas I came the White House website. The site also has twitter to communicate to the public. I wonder if you could go through twitter on the White House website to communicate your ideas. This would reach a bigger audience and reach important stakeholders that make decisions in education.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tammy. I actually read your blog posting and really like the ideal of going to the direct website for the White House. The petition ideal is really good. This would allow the topic to be sent to a vast amount of people and that would really peak their interest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vanessa,

    Thanks for bringing up Twitter - I have never used that but realize the popularity and the potential in terms of audience. I wonder if one of the keys to social media success is becoming comfortable with a particular venue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dr. Callahan,

    I think comfort level does influence a persons use of social media. I have a colleague that tried at having a Facebook account. However she deactivated her could because she said that amount of information made her nervous. I say don't knock until you have truly tried it. There is so much good information. Also you can stay current on what is happening in the political and education arena. Just yesterday I learned the state of Georgia has changed the standardized test that is used for K-12. I learned this on the Georgia Department of Education Facebook page.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete